Java Jive

By Maddie McDaniel

When you first walk into Java Jive, it takes you back in time. Decorated like a diner from the 1950’s, Java Jive is complete with retro decor and vintage furniture, giving you the feeling that this will be a good, classic breakfast place.  The low-key diner is cash only and closes at 2 p.m. on weekdays and 2:30 p.m. on weekends.

Located on 790 Ponce De Leon Ave NE, my friend and I were excited to try the cute breakfast place and see what items they offered. Upon arrival, it was packed, so a friendly waiter directed us to a seating area to wait for the next available table. It was filled with cute, vintage chairs and ovens that fit the overall eclectic feel of the restaurant. We ordered peanut butter and jelly french toast,  buttermilk pancakes, the granola parfait, and the scrambled eggs with cream cheese. My friend ordered the bottomless coffee, while I had a latte.  

Before any of the delicious food came, we were given our beverages. My friend had a cup of black coffee and said that it was one of the best cups she’s ever had: not too weak or bitter. The great thing about the coffee is that it’s “bottomless.” It’s simple, and everything you would expect of a diner’s coffee. I ordered a latte, and although it was a little pricey, it was worth every penny. It had the perfect amount of milk and even had a little chocolate powder sprinkled on top. It was a fantastic way to begin our dining experience.

The peanut butter and jelly french toast came first. It consisted of sweet buttery bread with peanut butter and jelly stuffed gooeyness. The syrup was served on the side, which was nice because the dish was already very sweet. It was on the brink of being too sweet, so if you don’t have a sweet tooth, this isn’t for you. Despite this, we agreed that it was one of the best french toast experiences we’ve ever had.

Then came the buttermilk pancakes. They were golden-brown and fluffy. The pancakes were served with a dollop of homemade cinnamon butter, which contained the perfect amount of cinnamon. They were very satisfying and tasted exactly like something your grandmother would whip up.

The granola parfait was next. It was the only menu item that wasn’t absolutely amazing. We were expecting it to have fresh fruit, but there was no fruit to be found. This was the biggest letdown in our dining experience. The dish was served in the classic parfait glass, which contributed positively to the feel of the diner. The granola was decent, as was the yogurt, but it wasn’t as good as the rest of the menu items we reviewed.

The scrambled eggs with cream cheese came last. They were well prepared, with the perfect amount of cream cheese. The amount of flavor in the eggs was just enough to keep it interesting, but still subtle enough to be a good brunch food.

Java Jive was not just another breakfast place at the end of our dining experience. We had a fantastic meal that was reasonably priced, and well portioned. It was nice to leave feeling satisfied with your meal and the price you paid for it. It has definitely become one of my staple breakfast places.