Assistant Principal Props Up School with Enthusiasm

Assistant Principal David Propst’s school day begins at 7 a.m., when he gets settled in his office, unlocks the facilities, greets the janitors and makes sure that substitute teachers have arrived.

7:40: Propst eats breakfast, which includes milk, orange juice and medication.

“I’m getting old,” Propst says.

7:50: Propst walks to the courtyard and student parking lot to make sure they are tidy.

“How’d all this paper get out here?” Propst says. “This was from last night.” He speaks into the walkie talkie. “Come in Mr. Scardina. Hey, they trashed this place on the stairs last night at the talent show. It just looks bad when the parents drive up.”

After inspecting the facilities and making sure that buses arrive on time, Propst heads to the cafeteria, where he screams his infamous phrases into his bullhorn.

8:08: “Let’s move, let’s move,” Propst says to students.

The bullhorn breaks. “It’s embarrassing, but I got my [megaphone],” he says. He begins to yell again. “Students keep moving. Ladies! This ain’t Walmart. I don’t give a flying flip. Let’s go. Have a nice day. YOU ARE WRONG!”

8:15: The bell rings for first period. Propst goes to the attendance office to help deal with late students. He has noticed many students sign in but use an alias, so they are able to get to class late without being penalized. Although he doesn’t know how to solve the problem, he said something must change so students face repercussions. After discussing this with the attendance secretary, Propst heads toward the gym, where he meets health instructor Tamara Aldridge.

8:47: “I have a student who is never in class,” Aldridge says. “He’s getting close to 10 absences.” Propst says he will take care of the situation, then goes downstairs.

8:49: Propst looks at the gym bleachers. Four students sit on them, not dressed out, while the rest play on the gym floor. The students have left their belongings in the bleachers.

“This is how stuff gets stolen,” Propst says.

9:05: On the way to his office, Propst confiscates a hat from a student in the C200 hall.

9:08: He goes to his office to pick up a coffee cup then goes to teacher workroom to fill up on coffee.

9:12: Propst heads back to his office. While snacking on Combos, Propst checks his email then watches the security cameras for loitering students. He calls into the walkie talkie.

“Activity on the third floor,” Propst says. He tells Russell Plascyk to clear the students.

9:30: A student comes into the discipline office asking for snacks. Propst gives her a Fruit Punch CapriSun, Sun Chips and a banana.

After inspecting the hallways, Propst begins to call students with more than 10 absences into his office.

9:38: Propst calls the first student in. Propst says he previously lent the student money. “I’m going to say this one time,” Propst says. “Where is my money?” The student pulls out $20, and Propst gives him $13 in change, then hands him a detention for skipping.

9:42: A late student signs into the attendance office, but does not write down his full name. Propst does not notice until after he leaves. When he notices, Propst chases the student down and brings him into the attendance office. Propst says he will refer the student to the social worker.

9:46: Propst calls another student with more than 10 absences into his office. Propst gives her detention. As she leaves, Propst said, “Peace out. Power to the people. Bling Bling.”

9:50: The bell rings, marking the end of first period.

9:54: Propst runs to patrol “five points,” the area between the C200 and E200 hallways.

10:05-11:30: Propst leaves campus for a meeting.

When Propst returns, he works in his office.

12:19 p.m.: Propst receives an email from a Starbucks customer complaining about disruptive students. Propst says he will go to Starbucks after school to investigate.

12:27: “Today’s my wife’s birthday,” Propst says. “No wonder she was looking at me frowning this morning. Here you remember everything, but you forget your wife’s birthday.”

12:42: Propst goes to inspect trailers for skippers.

“It’s Friday,” Propst says. “Things happen on Fridays.”

1:13: Propst heads to the cafeteria, where he begins to talk to senior class faculty advisor Willie Vincent. “[An assistant principal’s] day is spent handling crises,” Vincent says. “Bless their hearts.”

1:35: Bell rings, marking the end of third lunch.

1:36: “Let’s go,” Propst says. “Let’s go! Move it out! You can’t be on the phone. It’s against the law. Keep moving! Keep moving! Watch your mouth. Keeping moving. Let’s go. This ain’t Walmart. Walk slowly.”

2:47: Propst goes back to his office. Again, he begins to call students into his office to address their absences. The first student has 21 absences, the second 34, and the third 30 absences. “[You’ve all] gotta go to another school,” Propst says. “[This] means you won’t get a driver’s license.” He gives all three girls mandatory parent conferences.

3:05: Propst drinks an entire Diet Coke and a bottle of water.

“I’m good,” he says. “I’m ready to go.”

When the bell rings at the end of the school day, Propst continues to work. After making sure students get on their buses, Propst and Howard go to Starbucks “to protect the Grady reputation” from being tarnished by loud student patrons.

3:42: Propst and Howard order their drinks. Propst gets a grande latte and pours five packs of Splenda into his cup. Before leaving, he tells the Starbucks manager to call him if there are problems with Grady students.

“We like it when you come,” the manager says. “[the students are] quiet.”

Although most students have left campus, Propst remains. He stays at campus until midnight to oversee the coronation and homecoming dance, which he said went over smoothly.

View Comments (1)