Organizer Ghada Elnajjar poses after requesting a ballot to Leave it Blank in Georgia Primaries.
Uncommitted voters hold crucial turnout in Georgia primaries
Mariam DarbMay 1, 2024

In the rise of primary elections around the country, a notable trend emerged: voters have been leaving their ballots blank, which has left hundreds...

Boys Golf gains underclassmen, moves on to state

Courtesy of Riley Ruby
Sophomore Riley Ruby swings to hit a golf ball during a tournament.

The boys golf team has typically had a smaller roster compared to other sports at Midtown. However, that trend has shifted as the Knights now have 18 members, including six freshmen.

“This is our largest team ever,” coach David Johnson said. “ While we lost a lot of seniors, we have some incoming freshmen who are very experienced.”

Junior Riley Ruby has been playing golf since he was 5 years old. He is one of the co-captains of the team, and he hopes to be a key contributor this season.

“I am, overall, pretty competitive,” Ruby said. “It would be my dream to be a pro one day.”

Johnson said Ruby, along with freshmen twins Ross and Duncan Smith, will likely be the top players this season. 

“[Ross and Duncan] both come in with a lot of experience,” Johnson said. “Both have played some competitive travel golf at tournaments with some really high-profile players.”

The Smiths started playing golf in 2014, largely influenced by their father.

“I grew up around golf because my dad’s from Scotland and has played all throughout his life,” Duncan said. “I would say I’m not naturally an intense or competitive person, but I can be competitive about things that I care about, including golf.”

Ruby hopes the twins will have a positive impact on the team. During the 2020-2021 season, the team progressed to 6th in the sectional tournament, which is its all-time best. The team lost seven seniors, however, but the incoming freshmen have been able to rebuild the depth that was lost.

“There are a lot of new players, which is always a good thing,” Ross Smith said

At the area tournament on April 21, Midtown was up against 11 other schools and both teams placed second.

“Advancing to state is really cool,” Ross Smith said. “I think this is one of the first times our school has done it. I played fine; I didn’t shoot as well as I played. For the front nine, I probably should have shot three or four under. So that was a little disappointing, but it ended up being alright.”

The players feel confident in Johnson’s coaching. He has pushed them to progress as golfers while keeping the team competitive.

“He is doing a great job working with the players,” Duncan Smith said. “He is conscious of everyone on the team while also maintaining a healthy degree of competitiveness.” 

While the golf team is smaller than others, the required skill level is undeniably high.

“It is a hard sport to master,” Ruby said. “You are always putting yourself in unexpected situations, which is always a challenge.”

The players said they are looking forward to the tournament with goals in mind and a good atmosphere.

“Being on the golf team [allows me] to make improvements in my playing,” Duncan Smith said. “The team is organized, productive, and runs smoothly in a way that allows you to enjoy it.”

On April 21, the team played in their area tournament and qualified for the state tournament. The boys were led by junior Riley Ruby (71), freshman Ross Smith (73), freshman Duncan Smith (77), and sophomore Harrison Sexton (82).

“Last year, the other team made it to regionals,” Ross Smith said. “They had a strong team, but not as strong as this years. So before playing in the area tournament, I thought that we would at least make it to sectionals, but it was fun that we made it to state. It’s going to be fun.”