ONLINE AMENITIES: The online version of the AP exams in Bluebook offer many tools. Students can rule out answers and, on some tests, annotate, by highlighting text and typing notes.
Digital Divide: Online AP Exams spark mixed responses from Midtown community
Penelope KeenanApril 29, 2024

Nine AP Exams will be taken on paper for the last time this May. College Board announced that starting in 2025, paper exams will only be permitted...

Boys soccer dominates region, has high hopes for a deep playoff run

Senior+captain+Brady+Scheinfeld+drives+down+the+field+during+the+Knights+game+against+Marist+on+Apr.+12.+The+Knights+are+GHSA+5A+region+champions%2C+and+went+8-0+in+region+play.+
Julia Barton
Senior captain Brady Scheinfeld drives down the field during the Knights game against Marist on Apr. 12. The Knights are GHSA 5A region champions, and went 8-0 in region play.

The boys soccer team are the GHSA 5A region champs, and went undefeated in region play this season.

The Knights are currently 9-6, despite their impressive region run they struggled in pre and post region play.

“I think the season has gone pretty well so far,” sophomore midfielder Issac Marlowe said. “We had gotten off to a slow start but have really picked it up as of lately.”

Last year’s head coach, Jamie Benedetti, led the Knights to the State Championship. This year new head coach Silvia Riet hopes to bring them back and win. 

“My hope from the very beginning was to build on last year, where they lost in the finals,” Riet said. “There is only one goal this year and that’s to win the state. The beginning was a little bit bumpy. You have a new coach, you have to get used to certain things, but we’ve really come together.”

The boys team fell into a slump at the start of their season and held a record of 1-4. Riet said this adjustment period made them a stronger team overall.  

“My coaching style is different from what they’re used to, so it took them a minute to buy into what it is we’re doing,” Riet said. “Having said that, I think we’ve got a great coaching staff. There’s three of us, coaches Josh DiGiovanni and Gabriel Reit, and I think each one of us brings a different strength.”

Along with Riet, coaches DiGiovanni and Reit’s son, Gabriel Reit, are new to the program this year. Marlowe said the coaching switch not only led to adjustments, but also new opportunities for the team.

“With the introduction of Riet as the coach, I felt as if the team built a strong work ethic and were able to improve well tactically, leading to a more fluent game,” Marlowe said. “With Riet, I always feel encouraged to give my all whenever I step on the field.”

The team welcomed several new players this year after losing seven starters at the end of the 2023 season. Marlowe, a first year varsity player, feels that the team has grown as the season has gone on.

“I feel as if the team’s dynamic and skills have greatly increased as the season progressed,” Marlowe said. “As the season went on I feel we all grew more and more comfortable around one another and that comfortability showed with good chemistry whenever we stepped on the field. I feel that our skills also grew with more and more games and touches on the ball as the season progressed.”

Senior co-captain Brady Scheinfeld agrees the new players have adjusted well to the team throughout the season.

“The new players have grown into their position and are learning to grow where we need them the most, which is helping our team a lot,” Scheinfeld said.

Riet has seen the increasing bond of the team.

“As a group they’ve gotten more comfortable and confident with each other,” Riet said. “That’s helped a lot. Now they go out there and they’re very supportive of each other. They’re intense, but they’re very supportive.”

Marlowe has felt the positive impacts of the connection between the team mentioned by Riet. 

“The biggest highlights of the season have been being able to play on a team where I can learn a lot from the seniors and juniors and being given an opportunity to play and work hard for the team,” Marlowe said. “Being surrounded by just a great group of people has made this season very enjoyable so far.”

Scheinfeld feels the team has recovered from the beginning of the season and are on track for the State Championship.

“I initially thought we would go far in the playoffs and win the region easily,” Scheinfeld said. “Although, in the first half of the season we struggled with a new team with a new coaching staff. We’ve brought in coach Josh who has helped us with that problem and so far [Reit] has helped us greatly with achieving that goal.”