“To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” makes hearts flutter

Lara+Jean+Covey+%28Lana+Condor%29+and+Peter+Kavinsky+%28Noah+Centineo%29+gaze+at+each+other+at+the+climax+of+the+movie.+

Courtesy of Netflix

Lara Jean Covey (Lana Condor) and Peter Kavinsky (Noah Centineo) gaze at each other at the climax of the movie.

Katie Dwyer, Writer

Netflix released a new original movie, “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before”, on August 17. Based on the book by Jenny Han, the movie explores an intensely romantic plot line between Lara Jean Covey (Lana Condor) and Peter Kavinsky (Noah Centineo).
Lara Jean is considered a shy girl with sometimes overwhelming emotions. In order to work through these embarrassing feelings and emotions, she writes letters to her most intense crushes about how much she likes them. She writes six letters in total. One of the boys is Peter Kavinsky, a good-looking lacrosse player dating the queen of the school. The other is Josh Sanderson (Israel Broussard), who used to date her older sister.
When each of these letters mysteriously disappears Lara Jean assumes they have been mailed out, she becomes concerned that her life will implode. She worries that if her true feelings are exposed to Josh Sanderson, her relationship with her sister might be ruined forever.
The first to confront her about the letters is her first kiss, Peter Kavinsky. The only problem is that Kavinsky is dating Gen (Emilija Baranac), one of the most popular girls in school. When their relationship starts to go downhill, Kavinsky comes up with the brilliant idea to “fake date” Lara Jean.
In a scheme to protect both Kavinsky and Covey’s true feelings, they join forces and plan to pretend to date each other.. They form a contract where they create boundaries and specify what they must do during their fake relationship. However, one thing leads to another and their once forged feelings become real.
“To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” displays how your first love makes you feel and act. The film also emphasizes the importance of family because throughout the course of the movie, Lara Jean is supported by her family in all of her decisions. Her sister stood by her side, even when she admitted the feelings she had for her sister’s ex-boyfriend the whole time they were dating.
The movie perfectly portrays the awkwardness of a high school relationship and allows the viewer to transport back to when they first fell in love. For those who haven’t experienced high school, or their first love, it allows them to live vicariously through Lara Jean Covey. Director Susan Johnson put together an exciting script that accentuates the two actors strong points.
“To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” warms the heart of the viewer and brings new standards to corny high school romance movies. The sweet plot line lets the audience flashback to when they were in high school and when their lives were so innocent. The actors fit perfectly in the movie and match exactly to the book. Netflix has truly outdone itself with this new addition.