Franklin comes to athletic program, heals students

PRE-PLAYOFF PHYSICAL THERAPY: Athletic Trainer LaToya Franklin massages senior football player Keenan Marr’s leg injury before the football team’s first playoff game against Northwest Whitfield on Nov. 13. Franklin began working for Grady in early September this year.

In early September, sophomore Kailyn Jackson fell during basketball practice, rolling her ankle. Scared she wouldn’t be able to participate in the basketball season, she went to Grady’s new athletic trainer, LaToya Franklin, to get on the path of recovery.

After daily physical therapy from Franklin, Jackson was able to get back on the court.

“Everyday I’d stop by her room and she’d help me with balancing exercises and would tape my ankle,” Jackson said. “She’s much more hands on than any other trainer and there is no way I would have healed if she hadn’t helped me.”

Franklin began working for Grady as a certified athletic trainer at the beginning of September this year, after former athletic trainer of two years, Maggie Dalton, moved to Colorado.

At Grady, the role of an athletic trainer includes referring student athletes to doctors or emergency rooms, attending home games, providing first aid, injury assessments, injury rehab, taping ankles and wrists, and being the middle man between doctors, patients, coaches and parents. Building a relationship between the trainer and athlete is a key part of the job, according to Franklin.

“Anyone can be a good athletic trainer, but for me, it was more than that,” Dalton said. “Grady was my first job out of college, and I will never forget everyone I have come into contact with there. Being able to understand and relate to the student athletes is a huge factor.”

Franklin also believes that a positive relationship is necessary in order to get the athletes to trust that you will help them overcome their injury and sometimes, deeper issues, such as mental blocks. Athletes who go to see Franklin think she makes a good effort to connect with them.

“She tries to get to know you and establishes a good trust and relationship,” Jackson said. “She explains what you’re doing when you’re doing an exercise and doesn’t just tell you to sit down when you walk in.”

Franklin played basketball competitively in high school and college, and has always been interested in sports. If she’s not participating, she’s working a sporting event or watching one on TV. She has worked with women’s volleyball, men’s and women’s basketball, and softball. Now, Franklin is on a competitive flag football team and recently broke her arm during a game.

Because of her athletic background and her multiple injuries, Franklin relates to student athletes well. She sees students struggling with injuries every day and realizes overcoming injury is sometimes more emotional than physical.

“Mental blocks are tough,” Franklin said. “I’ve been there. I would say 60 percent of my job is dealing with the emotional side of returning to play after an injury.”

Students with serious injuries find her particularly helpful.

“She will automatically refer you to a doctor and see what she can do to help you immediately, instead of waiting a long time,” junior Karlito Mays said.

Franklin has also been helping student trainees learn different skills in the profession.

“Someone helps with the people who come into the training room, some stay outside and run to the spot when there’s an injury at practice, and they all fill up water bottles and make sure athletes stay healthy and hydrated,” junior student trainer Jené Black said.

Though the student trainees are much younger and inexperienced, Franklin sees them as coworkers.

“I don’t like to say they work under me,” Franklin said. “Yes, I am the adult and certified, but we all work together. I learn just as much from them as they learn from me.’’

The students gain valuable insight into the world of sports medicine and athletic training.

“Sports medicine is kind of a web: I have my boss, the doctor; he has an assistant, me, then there are the students,’’ Franklin said.

Franklin has had multiple injuries, but never treated them properly, despite her occupation in sports medicine.

“I’m my own worst patient,” Franklin said.

Franklin met with her high school athletic trainer after suffering a lower back injury playing basketball during her junior year, and that’s when she knew that was the job for her.

“I saw this little lady in khakis and a polo running all over the place carrying a clipboard, and I thought, ‘That’s what I want to be,’” Franklin said.

After her initial injury, Franklin was told to see her school’s athletic trainer by her doctor, but she never thought that the trainer would be the one to help her get over that bump. She was able to continue playing basketball at Springfield College, where she attended undergraduate school. After graduating, she worked in Columbus, GA at St. Francis hospital and St. Anne Pacelli High School for four years. In total, Franklin has trained for over eight years in the field.

Franklin now works full time at Atlanta Medical Center, as an assistant to Doctor Steven Kane, an orthopedic surgeon. Franklin hopes to get into medical school one day but is unsure of what specific field she’d later pursue.

Franklin is unsure of her future endeavors, but she is hoping to stick with Grady.

“We are all collaborating in trying to provide the best sports medicine care for the student athletes at Grady,” Franklin said.