49 Georgia colleges waived their application fees during March. University of North Georgia was one of these colleges.
49 Georgia Colleges waive application fees, remove barriers
Brennan Fritts April 15, 2024

The Georgia Student Finance Committee partnered with nearly 50 colleges throughout Georgia to waive their application fees during March. Midtown...

Seven students honored at National Signing Day

by Olivia Veira
[wzslider]
“Football is a game played by warriors, renegades and savages. Football is a game played by boys and men of any age. When all is said and done, there is just one question to be answered: What will be your legacy?”

Senior Alicia Norman read the above lines from Nathan Law’s poem,“What Will Your Legacy Be?,”  at the beginning of the National Signing Day ceremony held at the Grady theater on Feb. 6.

Each year, the Atlanta Public Schools system celebrates the legacy of its student athletes by honoring them on National Signing Day. On Wednesday, seven seniors signed their contracts in the auditorium.

Deshawn Benton and Darren Dowdell signed with East Carolina University, Chazz Cooper with Clark Atlanta, Mark Reeves with Tennessee State University, D’Anthony Ross with North Carolina A&T University,  Kivon Taylor with the University of Connecticut, and Bilal Vaughn with Syracuse University. Vaughn also received the Posse Scholarship, which recognizes students for their excellence in academics and leadership.

The program began with opening remarks from senior Mechelle Geeter, followed by Norman’s reading of “What Will Your Legacy Be?,” and each student signed his contract and thanked his friends, family, teammates and coaches for helping him develop as a person.

“I would like to thank my dad for pushing me on and off the field and making me the man I am today,” Ross said. “I would like to thank my teammates because they were my brothers for real.”

In addition to giving thanks, the students had unique remarks about their time at Grady.

“A few years with [Millen]; that’s a ride,” Vaughn said.

Each senior shared his hopes of continuing his dedication to football in college.

In his speech, Reeves promised that he will make the most of his opportunity.

“This is just the beginning,” he said. “I’m staying humble and staying focused.”

Benton had advice for aspiring athletes.

“Work Hard,” he said. “Keep God First.”

Later, each student was honored again at the systemwide National Signing Day ceremony, held at Carver High School. In addition, senior Brandon Watkins was honored for accepting a scholarship to play basketball at West Virginia University.

Principal Vincent Murray closed Grady’s program with encouraging words for the athletes, congratulating parents and thanking Millen.

“I’m going to do something I’ve never done before,” he said. “I’m going to allow them to wear their hats today.”