Knights declaw panthers, remain first in region

[wzslider autoplay=”true” info=”true”]

The Lady Knights defeated Carver 13-7 on Tuesday, bringing their region record to a perfect 4-0. The team has saved its best for region opponents.  Their overall mark is 4-6.

While the team was pleased with the final result, they were less than pleased with how they played in earning it.

“We might have had a big head because we beat [Carver] last time.” senior Mercedes Ringer said. “But once we saw they could beat us, we tightened up.”

Early in the first inning, Carver scored three runs, but Grady responded with five runs in the bottom of the inning as senior Kayla Valley, junior Jasmine Moon, senior Retonjah Burdette, sophomore Ladaisha Russell and senior Abrahana James all scored to turn a 3-run deficit to a 2-run lead.

Carver crept up on Grady during the next two innings, bringing the score to 5-4, but responded  with four more runs as Moon, Valley, sophomore Ashley Brown and senior Akilah George crossed the plate to  make the score 9-5.

After Grady posted another crooked number in the fourth inning, the offenses quieted. Carver could not work its way back and only scored one additional run by the seventh inning. Grady, however, continued to improve, tallying their final four runs in the fifth inning as James, Valley, Brown and sophomore Nadia Kendall, to make it 13-6.

In the seventh inning, Carver had a chance to rally. Carver loaded the bases with no outs. But then a Carver hitter laced the ball down the middle into the mitt of sophomore pitcher Tatyana Sampson who quickly threw it to catcher Nadia Kendall, for a force out at home. After the out, Sampson struck out the next two Carver hitters to end the game.

Grady softball coach Patrick Thomas was pleased with the team.

“I like the direction we are going,” Thomas said. “Our goal is always to get to state, but we have a pretty positive outlook on our remaining schedule.”

The Lady Knight’s will travel to Redan High School this Thursday, Sept. 13.