Moving of C days to Mondays creates stress, detrimental to students

Stella Maximuk

For the current school year, instead of Wednesday C days like they were previously, Midtown moved them to Mondays. While the decision was made with students in mind, the change will not benefit students as it will increase the weekend workloads for students and staff, while also making Mondays even more exhausting. 

When C days were on Wednesdays, students had A days on Monday and B days on Tuesday. Wednesday allowed for a break in the week, as classes were shortened to roughly 40 minutes rather than an hour and thirty minutes. Because of this, most teachers are unable to plan an in-depth lesson due to the time limitation. As a result, some teachers allow students to use their period to catch up on past assignments or to work on upcoming assignments. While many of the teachers still allow for students to do this on Mondays, it is not the same as before. Instead of being a catch up day, C day on Monday will just be a waste of time.

Most of the weekly assignments are assigned on Monday, meaning Monday C days cannot be used as catch up days. Instead, more work is piled onto students, all at the same time, creating more stress, especially if students are busy with extracurriculars during the week. Mondays are already difficult for both students and staff coming off the weekend. The addition of C days makes the school day feel even longer. 

For teachers who attempt short lessons on C days, the change to Monday means that they have to either plan their lesson during the weekend, or further in advance. Teachers are already responsible for grading assignments on the weekends, a task that can be tedious and time consuming. On top of that, teachers also have to manage grading missing assignments. The combination results in a lot of time spent after hours, including during the weekend. Teachers should not have to also worry about the lesson plans for all of their classes in addition to all of their normal tasks. 

For students, the change means that they will have to do more homework during the weekend. When teachers assign homework for the weekend, they typically assign it at the end of the week and make it due during their next period, which used to be Monday or Tuesday. While some students may have completed all of their homework for Monday and Tuesday, others might have only done the work due on Monday. This way, they only had to do the work for half of their classes over the weekend.

However, with Monday C days, students now have to complete all of their homework for Monday, eliminating the ability to complete homework Monday night. As a result, more time might be spent on academics rather than outside school activities. According to a study by the International Journal of English and Education, weekend homework can positively impact student performance. Students with homework over the weekend had a significantly higher midterm grade than the students who had no homework. However, for it to be effective, the value of the homework has to be considered. 

Coming out of a weekend after already spending time working on homework and being thrown into a long, grueling C day is not the best way to start the week. Mondays can feel slow and exhausting, but C days make them even more hectic. While having C days on Monday does get that schedule of eight classes over with, based on the amount of homework to complete, teacher lesson planning for the day and general Monday engagement, Wednesday is a better day to implement the dreaded C day.