Stella Maximuk

This year, the administration made the decision to move C days to Monday. This has been a controversial decision among the student body.

Head to Head: Are C days more beneficial on Wednesdays or Mondays?

October 7, 2022

This year, Midtown has moved C days from Wednesdays to Mondays. Comment Associate Managing Editors Abby Hyken and Stella Maximuk take sides over which day of the week is better for C days.

C Days on Mondays allow students to ease into week

Waking up on a Monday is never easy, and it’s even harder when you have to sit through four, hour and a half-long classes. However, this year, the notorious “C” day, where students go to all eight classes for 41 minutes each, has been moved to Monday. Instead of having to sit through long classes bright and early on a Monday, students now get to go to all of their classes, but only for a short time. This allows students to slowly ease into their week without fully diving into their classes immediately.

When asked about the move, students have mixed feelings. Some prefer C days on Wednesdays, while others like the move to Monday. Moving C days to Mondays has numerous benefits, such as giving students a smooth transition into the week. Having all eight classes on Mondays also allows students to get a better grasp on the work they will be doing in their classes for the week. If students start the week by going to all of their classes, they can organize and manage their time better, reducing stress. 

For teachers, C days are an opportunity to plan out their week. Having a short class period allows teachers to use this time to inform students about the expectations and assignments for the week. On the other hand, C days on Wednesdays caused a break in the school week, which forced teachers to have to plan around it. This day right in the middle of the week changed the dynamic and flow of the week. It took away focus from classes because students often treated it as a free day. Now, with the change, teachers can use their Mondays efficiently and won’t be troubled by a break midway through the week. 

Even people who don’t like C days can benefit from the move to Monday. C days require more energy because students have to go to so many classes, so starting the week with them when students are fresh from the weekend and at peak energy levels makes it easier. Last year, by the time students got to Wednesday, they were already exhausted. Then, they would have to go to all eight classes, further draining their already diminished energy levels for the rest of the week, which caused numerous problems such as worse school performance. This problem is solved by the move of C days from Wednesdays to Mondays so that students can start the week with the most energy. 

However, some students and teachers prefer C days on Wednesdays. When asked their thoughts about C days on Wednesdays, they argue that it is a nice break in their week that is not given when C days are on Mondays. In some ways, C days on Mondays are harder on students and teachers. Students need to finish all of their homework in preparation for all of their classes on Monday, instead of being able to finish homework for B Days on Monday night. Teachers need to plan for all of their classes and have time to ease into their week. 

Even with these alternate opinions, there are great benefits to having C days on Mondays. Starting the week off with quick, laid-back classes allows students to ease into their week and efficiently plan for the rest of it.

About the Writer
Photo of Abby Hyken
Abby Hyken, Editor in Chief

Abby Hyken is a senior and the comment section Editor in Chief. She is a fourth-year writer for the paper and is excited to write for the Southerner this...