Seniors feel pressure as peers commit to college

Brynn Smith

As the semester progresses, more and more seniors are announcing their college decisions. Whether this is through the Grady futures instagram or word of mouth, there is no avoiding all the exciting news of their plans for the next four years. Students who are still waiting to make their decision, may be under more stress.
May 1st is national decision day, so seniors have several weeks to continue to weigh their options. Even with this time, senior Remy Pair is feeling the pressure of not having her future planned out yet. 
“I was very ahead in the college process and now I feel as if my work that I finished so early doesn’t mean anything because people who finished after me already know where they are going and I don’t,” Pair said.
Seniors have not decided for a multitude of reasons, like unreleased admissions decisions, financial reasons or they just haven’t made up their mind yet. Seniors Maya Hadley and Declan McCarthy have yet to find out about some of their top choice schools.
“Some peers make me feel like I should’ve already committed to a school, but honestly I feel like until May first, I have the freedom to decide wherever I want to go,” Hadley said. “I’ve been writing my essays and working on the applications for a few months, so I know I have done everything I can. Georgetown and University of Chicago’s admissions decisions don’t come out until April first so I will have to wait at least until then.”
Similarly, McCarthy is not phased by his peers advancing past him in this long process. 
“Seeing others commit has no impact on me because I am not worried that waiting to commit will set me back,” McCarthy said.
Certain steps that students take after committing to a school are under a time crunch, like applying for housing and finding a roommate.
“It’s less time to figure out everything I need to do,” Pair said. “I’m gonna be super late to the roommate searching process but that’s my main worry.”
College is a financial burden. Whether it’s in state or out of state, there is no hiding the price tag that comes along with a secondary education. Students may get admitted to one of their top schools and still have to wait to see what scholarships they are offered.
“The reason I have not decided on where I’m going is purely financial,” Pair said. “I have a lot of options but those options are too expensive.”
This waiting can also put a strain on relationships. Pair experienced that as all her friends committed, pride was not her only emotion. 
“’I am also incredibly jealous that so many people already know where they are going,” Pair said.
Despite still being in this waiting game, senior Maya Hadley is still able to feel secure in all the work she has done.
“I honestly feel pretty good about the college process,” Hadley said. “Everyone has their own timeline. Nothing is ahead or behind until May first.”