Grady jumps ahead with progressive bathroom policy

In recent years, the rise of popular shows like “Transparent,’’Orange is the New Black’’ andBeing Jazz,’’ as well as the constant coverage of celebrities such as reality star Caitlyn Jenner and Youtuber Gigi Gorgeous, has brought the transgender community to the forefront of today’s media and culture.

Because of the spotlight, both social and political transgender movements have gained momentum and garnered national attention, spurring dialogues across the country between neighbors, friends and even those on Capitol Hill.

Amid these discussions, the state of North Carolina quickly came out in opposition of transgender rights, signing into law the Public Facilities Privacy & Security Act, which mandated that all people in the state must use the bathroom which matches the gender that they were assigned at birth.

North Carolina’s law, however, was not without its critics. It came under fire from celebrities, activists and the U.S president.

This past May, President Barack Obama’s Administration responded with a new policy under Title IX that said all public schools must permit transgender students to use the bathrooms and locker rooms of their chosen identity.

The controversial directive lead to an uproar in the southern states, with many rallying behind North Carolina’s earlier decision, including Georgia.

“There are safety and privacy concerns associated with allowing students of different genders to use the same bathroom and locker rooms,” state schools superintendent Richard Woods said in a letter issued to all public schools in Georgia. “For that reason, I do not believe a student of another gender should use a restroom or locker room alongside students of the opposite sex.”

In spite of Georgia’s conservative stance, Grady principal Timothy Guiney chose to follow the new directive under Title IX.

A student  “simply goes in the restroom, uses the restroom, washes hands, leaves the restroom in two minutes; whatever the case may be, I don’t see the safety or security issue,” Guiney said. “Going to a separate restroom, though equal in conditions, is specifically for certain students whereas if you are able to use the public restroom that every other student uses, there’s no singling out.”

Guniey said his decision was partly influenced by Atlanta Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Meria Carstarphen.

“She supported it and thought it was important for the district to support it,” Guiney said. “We at Grady choose to comply with what President Obama laid out and what Superintendent Dr. Carstarphen laid out.  But really, if you were to ask me, I think it’s the right thing to do.”

Since the policy was released at the end of May, it did not go into effect until the new school year.

“We have a large staff, over 90 teachers, but everybody seemed to really understand,” Guiney said when he addressed the new guidelines during a pre-planning session.

Grady, on the whole, appears to be very accepting of the new policy.

“It’s important for people to live their lives and not suffer,” senior Emma Slutsker said. “It would be really against the roles of the community to have a community that is not focused on accepting.”

Many students empathized with their transgender peers, understanding the hard challenges they face during the already-stressful transition from childhood to young adulthood.

“This is the time where kids are really discovering their identities,” senior Josie Arenella said. “I think it’s great that they made it an option for kids our age so they can test out the waters and figure out who they are.”

According to a national survey by the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN), 75 percent of transgender students feel unsafe at school, and of those students, many had lower GPAs, more absences and were less likely to pursue higher education opportunities.

“Bullying is already such a huge issue,” sophomore Sienna Joseph said. “Teens go through so much, and then being a transgender adds to that.”

Some students, however, were not as enthused about the new policy.

“It’s going to be uncomfortable if I walk in and I see a girl using the guy’s restroom,” senior Ahmed Hassan said. “But as long as you’re to yourself, and I’m to myself, and we just go on about our days, then I’m cool with it.”

While other schools continue to review the new guidelines, Guiney stands firm with Grady’s policy.

“A part of identity is having the freedom to identify and to conduct yourself accordingly; the restroom is a part of that,” Guiney said.“We made the right decision, and the decision we made at Grady is the right decision, everywhere.”