Organizer Ghada Elnajjar poses after requesting a ballot to Leave it Blank in Georgia Primaries.
Uncommitted voters hold crucial turnout in Georgia primaries
Mariam DarbMay 1, 2024

In the rise of primary elections around the country, a notable trend emerged: voters have been leaving their ballots blank, which has left hundreds...

New AP classes prepare freshmen for future courses

With the addition of Human Geography to the Grady Advanced Placement (AP) program and the instillment of the AP Capstone Diploma program, Grady students face new opportunities for rigorous courses this school year.

AP Human Geography, added to Grady this school year as a course available to freshman, combines world events with geography and anthropology to expose students to the high expectations of AP classes.

College Board describes this class as “the systematic study of patterns and processes that have shaped human understanding, use, and alteration of Earth’s surface.” Specific topics covered include impacts of technologies, struggles for political control, conflicts with minorities, and the role of environmental abuses.

AP Human Geography teacher Chris Wharton anticipated that an AP course for freshmen will pose a big challenge.

“Since I’m introducing them to their first AP class, I’m trying not to send them into a state of panic,” Wharton said. “But they really have to be very independent.”

Wharton will also use the class to get students ready for other AP courses. He places an emphasis on treating the course as a regular AP class even though it is targeted to freshman.

“I’m preparing them for the heightened expectations that AP classes have,” Wharton said. “There’s so much material; the AP exam is very challenging and very demanding.”

The Human Geography AP exam consists of a multiple-choice section and three essays, similar to other social science AP exams. The exam requires students to apply geographic topics to the real world.

Wharton majored in anthropology, or the study of humans and their interactions. He incorporates his major as an important part of the course. Wharton discusses topics that interest him, such as the Syrian refugee crisis, and applies them to geographic themes. In addition to topics he enjoys, Wharton finds ways to incorporate student interests in the course curriculum.

“It’s been a lot of fun,” Wharton said. “I can really engage with them, outside the box. We can bring up almost any topic, and I can make it geographic.”

AP Human Geography allows high-achieving students to start learning more difficult material from the start. Freshman Alek Bruckman was pleased this course was available to freshman.

“I am excited for the window into what it is like in college classes,” Bruckman said.

Before this year, Wharton had taught middle and high school courses, but students often told him he taught more like a college professor. He enjoys the style of teaching in a more high-level class.

“I can engage the students at a higher intellectual level and use more challenging material, and with what I use to teach the concepts, the possibilities are almost endless,” Wharton said.

Wharton opted not to assign summer work to upcoming students, as he was still getting familiar with the course. However, he has plans for summer assignments in future years, assuming the course continues being offered.

“I really am enjoying it a lot, and I’m hoping that we’ll teach it for several years to come,”

Wharton said.

With its recent addition to Grady’s academic offerings, the AP Capstone program is beginning to challenge students. The Class of 2019 will be the first grade at Grady to be eligible to graduate with a Capstone Diploma.

To qualify for the diploma, students must graduate with credits in AP Seminar, AP Research, and four other AP courses. In addition, students must complete all six AP tests and score a three or higher.

This program is writing-heavy and strongly emphasizes speech and debate.

“I believe that AP Capstone will be a helpful course to have completed as I go into college because it will help me with speaking skills, along with writing skills,” said Scout McDaniel, sophomore.

With the introduction of the course AP Seminar, students are exploring what the class has to offer.

“AP Seminar is a really cool class so far,” said Ana Tisher, sophomore. “We have learned about philosophers, which is one thing I am very interested in.”

AP Capstone targets allows students to explore their own interests through research and development of arguments. AP Capstone also aims to enhance the college preparation courses already in place at Grady.

Susan Salvesen and Mario Herrera both teach AP Seminar and participated in an online course this summer. The course trained teachers to improve teamwork skills in their classes and to allow students to explore learning through research. This program included a five day face-to-face training for teachers.

AP Research will be implemented next year and is the next class available for those taking  AP Seminar this year. The class will focus on student interest at a college level. Students will take part in extensive research projects foreshadowing the work a student will complete in college.