Organizer Ghada Elnajjar poses after requesting a ballot to Leave it Blank in Georgia Primaries.
Uncommitted voters hold crucial turnout in Georgia primaries
Mariam DarbMay 1, 2024

In the rise of primary elections around the country, a notable trend emerged: voters have been leaving their ballots blank, which has left hundreds...

Administration brings new wave of dress code reform

Under the old dress code, the Grady administration would have penalized sophomore Rachel Hasson for wearing ripped jeans.

If students walked the halls of Grady in late April, they couldn’t help but see the posters advocating changes to Grady’s dress code. They would have seen peers with flyers reading “Not a distraction” or asking “Am I covered up enough?”

Protesters, calling themselves “Grady Feminists for Dress Code Reform”, or GFDRC, took to the halls and to social media to express their concerns about the dress code. Their campaign has resulted in a new dress code that they say is a more appropriate expectation for students.

Last year, a group of sophomore girls, now juniors, hung flyers to voicing their concerns about Grady’s dress code. The administration removed the posters quickly, which brought the issue to the forefront of debate.

“If you put thought behind why the rules are the way they are, and if you see that there are a lot more restrictions for the girls than there are for the guys, then you realize ‘well, maybe that’s quite not fair,’” said Kevin Hill, chorus teacher and Grady Feminists club sponsor. “A lot of the reasons for the girls not being able to wear what they want to wear is because people have felt for years that it’s a distraction for the guys…that’s not quite fair.”

Grady administrators eventually organized a meeting to address student concerns about the code.  Principal Timothy Guiney and assistant principals Rodney Howard, David Propst and Carrie MacBrien, discussed APS dress code guidelines with more than 50 students, parents and teachers. APS dress code policy disallows clothing that’s “distracting’ or would “cause a disruption.” Grady didn’t have additional guidelines to supplement the district’s code at the time.

Guiney felt last year’s dress code was too vague in its restrictions.

“What we didn’t do a great job at was having specific examples of what was in compliance and what was not in compliance,” he said.

The feminists group outlined concerns and proposed changes to the dress code. However, Guiney said no changes could be made in the spring to the dress code because the year was coming to a close.

“We’d be willing to come together and discuss some revamping…discuss what works, what doesn’t,’’ Guiney said.

Over the summer, Guiney held two meetings to draft a new code with student collaboration. Due to summer vacations, however, only two seniors, Grace Hawkins and Camille Williams, both large contributors to the movement assisted administrators in the drafting of a revised code.

“What we did was put a draft of the table and went through it [to decide] what was good and what needed to be changed,’’ said Guiney.  “We did it right there on the spot.’’

The reformed dress code eliminates vague language and is more specific with measurements and descriptions of inappropriate attire. It establishes that straps must be two inches in width, clothing exposing underwear or cleavage is not allowed, and the inseam must be at least five inches long. Other unacceptable dress includes backless shirts, bare midriffs, and leggings (such as tights or yoga pants). While reformed, some members of the feminist club still have concerns.

“In some ways, they got more strict and have targeted female body types even more with the mention of cleavage and by no longer allowing yoga pants,’’ said Mason. “But it’s good that they’ve changed the shorts measurement.”

The administration also revised punishments for violations of the code. Last year, a first offense resulted in a day of In-School Suspension. Now, a first offense elicits a phone call home. Students won’t get ISS this year until a fourth violation, a parent conference and after school detention.

“We modified the consequences so that it was a little bit more reasonable, to where you’re really receiving consequences when you become defiant at a certain level,” said Guiney.

Now head of the Grady Feminists Club, Hawkins feels that the dress code is in a better place than it was last year.

“There was a lot of compromise involved. The dress code currently is still not a feminist’s ideal, but it is a definite improvement.”