To help aid the selection of the next permanent superintendent of the district, the Atlanta Board of Education has formed a community panel of more than 15 parents, teachers, students and community leaders.
Community advisory panel formed to advise district superintendent selection
Shalin BhatiaApril 22, 2024

The Atlanta Board of Education has formed a community panel of parents, teachers, students and community leaders to provide community input in...

Teacher of Year Allen has ‘loved every minute’ of job

VENI VIDI TEACHI: Mr. Allen exudes enthusiasm as he presents a dramatic interpretation of Roman culture and history during his Latin 2 class. Allen’s interactive teaching courses have gained the respect of his pupils and colleagues, who have voted him the 2015-2016 Teacher of the Year.

BY: GRACIE GRIFFITH

On April 23, the Grady faculty selected upper level Latin teacher Scott Allen as the 2015-2016 Teacher of the Year.

“I feel really humbled and honored that my colleagues think that highly of me,” Allen said. “I didn’t expect to win.”

Spanish teacher Enoch Gill believes Allen deserved to win the award.

“Mr. Allen is very organized, he understands his subject matter very well, and he loves his students,” Gill said.

Latin 2 student Lily Soto counts Allen among her favorite teachers because of his passion for educating his students, both in class and during extracurricular activities that center on learning the language.

“Mr. Allen is really supportive and open to helping us in any way,” Soto said.

Soto, who is a member of the Latin Club and the Latin quiz bowl team, Certamen, said Allen often emails students study materials individually before competitions.

Allen said he sees his role as more guide on the side than sage on the stage: “I just look at my role as a cheerleader on the side who tries to get students to do things I know they would be good at but that they are afraid to try.”

Allen’s penchant for helping others stems from his previous career as a social worker. Although both of Allen’s parents are retired teachers, he had never taught until his wife, Michelle recommended he teach an introductory social work course at Oglethorpe University.

“Even though I didn’t know what I was doing, I loved it,” Allen said. “I just couldn’t believe I was getting paid to teach.”

Allen’s wife encouraged him to pursue teaching as a professional career.

“That was six years ago, and I haven’t looked back,” Allen said “I have loved every minute of it in a way that I never quite loved being a social worker.”

Allen’s passion for teaching is evident to Soto.

“Mr. Allen’s class is honestly the light of my whole day,” she said. “You can tell he really enjoys his work, and he lets that show.”

Allen discovered his love of classical language when his father suggested that he take Latin in high school. Allen remembers his teacher, Ms. Goodyear, as fun-loving and idiosyncratic.

“She was a lot of fun and a bit strange,” Allen said. “I was just hooked from day one.”

Allen incorporates the spirit of his former teacher into his classroom through a variety of activities such as songs, PowerPoints, technology, art and performance to retain student interest.

“Mr. Allen has really inspired me,” said junior and Latin 3 student Sajjad Ali. “He’s taken a class not many people would find interesting or engaging and made it a place I want to be during school.”

Allen’s favorite part of class is story time, in which he tells the history of Rome.

“Last class I re-enacted a guy chopping down a bridge who only had one eye,” Allen said. “The students seemed to really respond to that, and I have a lot of fun doing it, so it’s a win-win for everybody.”

Allen credits Communications and Journalism pathway leader Carrie MacBrien with helping him develop this unique style during his first year at Grady.

“She [told me] I shouldn’t really do any one thing for more than about 20 to 25 minutes,” Allen said. “I’m so grateful that she gave me that feedback because I don’t know what kind of teacher I would be if I hadn’t gotten that advice from her.”

Allen believes Grady’s accepting environment between students and teachers is what has enabled him to experiment with his lesson plans.

“This school allows teachers to take risks, allows teachers to present material in unconventional ways, allows us to be different.”