Guiney hands publication reigns to Ellerton

Will Taft

Delbert Ellerton

Principal Timothy Guiney has selected Delbert Ellerton to succeed David Winter as the adviser for The Southerner and Nexus magazine next school year. Ellerton will also teach the sophomore introductory journalism course.

Guiney said in an email to the Southerner he selected Ellerton based off the recommendation of an interview panel consisting of himself and six other individuals from the Grady community. Because Ellerton was scored higher by a majority of the panelists including Guiney, he selected Ellerton for the position.

Guiney said he was impressed with the caliber of Ellerton’s application.

“He had a combination of teaching experience and advising a high school publication but also a very impressive realm of experience as a journalist including having worked for the AJC, and Bloomberg,” Guiney said.

Guiney also said Ellerton stood out for his close ties to Grady. Ellerton attended Grady and has already coached the Grady track team for 19 years.

Ellerton graduated Grady in 1987 and received a bachelor’s of business arts degree in finance from the University of Georgia and then a master’s degree in journalism from Columbia University.

Ellerton, who has served as the adviser to the Mays High School paper The Summit since 2008, said he was excited to begin advising student publications at Grady.

“I am very excited about coming back home to Grady and being a part of something that has been around for 70 years,” Ellerton said.

Ellerton said his priority next year will be maintaining the quality of the Southerner and the journalists it produces.

“My primary [goal] is to maintain the quality of the paper,” Ellerton said.

Guiney said he hopes The Southerner will continue to cultivate young journalists and communicate vital information to the Grady community.

Sydney King, an editor for The Summit, said Ellerton inspired her to stick with the paper into her senior year.  King said Ellerton’s professional expertise proved to be a vital asset for the Summit staff.

“He had no doubts about his field at all,” King said. “He knew exactly what he was doing.”

King said Ellerton maintained high standards for his students and taught her the finer points of journalism.

“He taught me that details are really important,” King said. “Being under Ellerton’s advisement kicked my butt.”

Ellerton said he was not worried for next year because he is confident in the abilities of Southerner staff members and his abilities as an adviser.

“I work very hard and I expect the students to work very hard,” Ellerton said.