College advisor Mira Ratchev sits in the College and Career Readiness building at Midtown reviewing applications.
Students navigate FAFSA challenges, express frustration
Mariam Darb May 13, 2024

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) has experienced multiple changes in its application process for the 2024-2025 aid year.  Mia...

Students athletes weigh specialization pros and cons

How much is too much? Child and teenage athletes have been trying to find the balance between healthy and too much when it comes to participating in more than one competitive sport.

In a world succumbing quickly to early sport specialization, the controversy over multiple sports versus one sport thrives. Involvement in more than one sport can produce a well-rounded athlete, but it can also lead to serious stress, academic troubles and injuries.

“I don’t have a problem with kids playing multiple sports,” football coach Earthwind Moreland said. “In actuality, certain sports really help with other sports.  In high school, I played varsity football, basketball and baseball, and when I wasn’t doing that, I ran track.  So I understand, and I support when my players do it.”

Junior Gracie Griffith plays for the varsity soccer, basketball and cross country teams.  On top of that, she participates in several clubs and takes four AP classes.

“You really have to balance your time,” Griffith said. “All my seasons overlap by about a week. I follow a very disciplined schedule and I do all my things on time. I can’t procrastinate. I do weight training in the mornings at 6:45, and I try not to miss practices. My coaches are not very lenient about it. I try to find a healthy balance between academics and sports. Academics will get me further in life, but my passion is sports.”

Senior Gideon Burras also advocated for the participation in multiple sports.  He says his participation on the varsity basketball team definitely improves his footwork, anticipation and coordination, all of which make him a better receiver for the football team.

Improved athleticism, fitness, and coordination are all benefits that come with participation in sports. Athletes strive to feel strong and accomplished; however, this is not always the case.

“When you get to the point of feeling pain after every workout, that’s when you know it time to stop with all the sports,” Griffith said.

Despite her organization, planning and dedication, Griffith couldn’t escape the physical taxation of her schedule.  She is currently suffering from two tibial stress fractures and has suspended her athletics while completing her aquatic rehabilitation plan.

Griffith is not alone; according to Children’s Hospital Boston, one-third of all injuries to youths result from sports activity. That means an athlete under the age of 18 is being admitted to the emergency room every 25 seconds for a sports related injury.

Junior Bradley Mackett played on the varsity soccer team and near the end of the season was also training with his club team. During this time period, he sprained his ankle and pulled his groin. He refused to take the time off to heal, and as a result his injuries progressively got worse.

“I felt like if I had stopped and given my injuries time to heal I was sort of letting my team down,” Mackett said.

In some cases, overcommitment  can lead to a lack of attention to each sport and also to a lack of attention to academics.

“I felt the need to quit basketball because my grades began to slip and my priorities were to get all my grades up,” junior Davis Schwartz said.

If seasons overlap, athletes often come to a point when they have to pick which practice to attend and which game to skip.  Depending on the tolerance of the coaches, this can be a real problem.

The controversy over multiple sports will be ongoing, but one thing is certain: there is always a struggle athletes have to overcome, whether it’s with academics, stress or injuries.