Students dive deeper into aquarium-sponsored class

When scheduling forms for the opening school year were released last spring, students might have noticed oceanography swimming in the mix of science courses. This year, oceanography, a class sponsored by the Georgia Aquarium, is being offered as a fourth-year science credit.

The director of education at the Georgia Aquarium, Brian Davis, created the class with the goal of inspiring learning and teaching oceanography in APS. This goal was achieved when Davis met with Principal Vincent Murray to discuss implementing and supporting an oceanography class at Grady.

Korri Ellis, the teacher chosen to teach oceanography, has taught this subject before.

“I taught a marine-science camp at Catalina Island with different school groups,” Ellis said. “I have experience in marine-science education,”

Ellis and Georgia Aquarium representatives met last spring to talk about the partnership between the oceanography class and the aquarium.

“We talked about them providing two field trips with behind-the-scenes experience, as well as outreach work in the school,” Ellis said. “They would also facilitate a guest speaker or activity here at the school.”

The representatives from the Georgia Aquarium’s education department declined to be interviewed because plans for the partnership with the Oceanography class have not been finalized.

Ellis’ oceanography class has enthralled students, including junior Charlie Menefee.

“Oceanography is a subject that I have not been exposed to in any other years of school,” he said. “I was not previously interested in the subject, but having the class has sparked my interest. Also, having two science classes in one year as most juniors do, is a good way to compare which type of science I like more.”

Menefee is looking forward to the affiliation between oceanography and the aquarium, but he is not sure what to expect.

“I think that the Georgia Aquarium affiliating with the oceanography program is great, but I do think many people have already gone to the aquarium,” Menefee said. “Hopefully we can get to see things people have never seen there before.”

Junior Adrian D’Avanzo thinks the aquarium’s sponsorship with the class will enhance the curriculum.

“I think it would provide an enriching experience to the class,” D’Avanzo said. “It would provide a lot more depth to the class than just doing worksheets daily.”

Like Menefee, D’Avanzo is looking forward to the aquarium partnership.

“I am looking forward to a lot of interactive activities such as going to the aquarium and interacting with animals,” D’Avanzo said. He hopes the class will learn about the dolphin exhibit at the aquarium.

One of the potential perks of having the Georgia Aquarium sponsor Grady’s oceanography class is students attaining aquarium passes that would last for the duration of the course. Ellis said these aquarium passes have not yet been finalized, but were discussed with aquarium representatives last spring.

Because this class is relatively new, oceanography is not yet popular at Grady.

“Our class started off at around 32 kids. Now it has dropped to less than 20,” D’Avanzo said. “Many kids have an overload of science classes and that is the problem. I am taking three right now.”

Despite the loss of some students, Ellis hopes the class’s affiliation with the Georgia Aquarium will make students more enthusiastic about taking the class.

“I really hope that popularity will increase,” Ellis said. “This has never been done before.”