Goodman competes as varsity volleyball’s only freshman

Ellie Palaian
Goodman warms up for the Senior Night match against Chamblee on Sep. 28. The Knights won in straight sets 3-0, and are 8-0 in region 5-AAAAA so far this season.

As the only freshman on the varsity volleyball team and with intentions to play basketball next semester, Nora Goodman’s athleticism and effort is positively impacting Midtown athletics.  

“She’s just a pure athlete,” senior volleyball and basketball co-captain Briaiah Lewis said. “I’ve seen her play in multiple different sports, and she’s just an all around athlete. She can jump high, run fast and do all of the things.”

Goodman started playing basketball at 5 years old, playing for the local church league, Haygood Hoops. After trying a few different sports throughout her childhood, including rowing and lacrosse, she settled on basketball and started playing volleyball in seventh grade.

“I think it’s a lot of fun and I like being active and doing things,” Goodman said. “I love both [basketball and volleyball] and have never thought about quitting one.”

Despite her late volleyball start, Goodman quickly developed as a player. Aside from high school volleyball she also plays for the popular club, Tsunami Volleyball Club. Goodman also competed on the first Howard Middle School girls basketball team to go to the city championship, coming runner up to King Middle after an undefeated season. 

Eighth grader Julianna Richman played both volleyball and basketball with Goodman, and said she is impressed with Goodman’s skillset. 

“She is a great leader on and off the courts, and I think that, from what I’ve seen, her skills have moved really well into the high school level,” Richman said. “[Goodman] is a super fun person to play with, and I’m excited to watch her play for Midtown this season and continue to use her athleticism.” 

So far this season, Goodman has not only brought her skill, but her personality to the team.

“[Goodman’s] very level headed and she’s able to keep us all calm,” Lewis said. “She’s also been a reliable person to give the ball to when it’s going tough. She’s very personable and is able to connect the team. She’s like the glue.”

Once the volleyball season ends, Goodman will quickly transition into basketball, already participating in pre-season conditioning and tryouts before the season starts in October. Lewis said Goodman will have an impressive impact on Midtown athletics.

“I think as she continues to play volleyball and basketball and she learns more about the IQ of the sports, she’s going to be unstoppable,” Lewis said. “As she develops, I think she won’t just be a powerhouse, but a smart player as well.”

Sophomore Colbi Browning, who played in a basketball summer league with Goodman, said Goodman is a very hard worker who pushes everyone around her.

“Nora is always giving 110%, whether it’s at practice, conditioning or in the games,” Browning said. “Her effort level is definitely something that sets her above everyone else. I think she has a really bright future in whatever sports she continues to play and develop in, and I’m excited to watch her grow.”

On top of being a star athlete, Goodman excels in the classroom. Goodman said balancing homework with athletics has been difficult, but it’s a struggle she is willing to deal with.

“I always have to make time for schoolwork,” Goodman said. “There have been some nights where I’m doing work at like 10:30 p.m. But I really like playing sports, so much so that schoolwork isn’t a huge issue.”

Goodman plans on continuing her athletic career at Midtown, and is still deciding if collegiate athletics is for her. 

“When I am a senior I hope I am still playing volleyball, still healthy and continuing to improve,” Goodman said. “I also hope I can continue playing basketball as well as volleyball, and continue having fun on the court. I’ve definitely thought about [college], but I know I would have to choose a sport, and I am not ready for that yet.” 

View Comments (1)