Ponce Krispy Kreme plans to reopen

Emma Young

At the Krispy Kreme on Ponce de Leon Avenue, the sign reads “We will bounce back better than ever-Shaq.” The store plans to reopen this summer.

Emma Young

This summer the Krispy Kreme on Ponce de Leon Avenue will be filled with the smell of fresh doughnuts once again. 

Following two fires at the restaurant, it is set to reopen this summer, with construction that began in January. The store is owned by NBA Hall of Famer Shaquille O’Neal.

“We’re bouncing back better than I even imagined,” O’Neal said in a media release. “I can’t wait to turn on the Hot Light. It’s gonna light up the whole neighborhood. Get ready, Ponce!”

The new building aims to highlight features of the old restaurant, while still bringing a new look. 

“We’ve struck a balance of modernization and honoring the historical significance of our Ponce shop’s location,” David Skena, Krispy Kreme’s Global Chief Brand Officer, said in a media release. “We think our fans are going to love it. The community has shown us so much support and patience as we designed the new shop.”

The 4,000 square foot building will be more modern, but tie back to the original building with a custom mural inside and a refurbished version of the iconic Krispy Kreme sign.

“The shop’s design allows for an abundance of natural light, a cheery and bright dining room, and an enhanced doughnut theater experience,” Krispy Kreme said in a media release.

This location is one of the oldest Krispy Kreme stores, originally opening in 1965, when it took the place of the Pig-N-Whistle barbecue restaurant. Many students, including freshmen Lauren Anthony, are looking forward to the shop reopening.  

“I remember when it was still open, the employees were always really nice and it was so fun to watch the doughnuts get made and have so many to choose from,” Anthony said. “I’m looking forward to being there again and going every Sunday with my family, which was our old tradition.”

The store plays a special role for students and families at Midtown, because of its close proximity to the school and the relationship between the two. 

“For Midtown students, it was motivation to get good grades, because you could get a free doughnut if you brought your report card,” Anthony said. “It also is a new place for us to go, since it is so close to the school.”

The old store was damaged by two separate fires, the first on Feb. 10, 2021 as a result of alleged arson and the second on July 7, 2021 because of an issue in the kitchen. Following the fires, much of the community expressed sadness at the loss of the store.

“It was our go-to doughnut place so of course we miss the. actual doughnuts, particularly fresh, hot and picked right off the production line,” Midtown parent Chuck Taylor said. “The original design of the building and its place in our commute into Midtown is missed as well.” 

As the reopening approaches, Taylor is looking forward to the authentic taste of Krispy Kreme doughnuts. 

“The neighborhood is missing its doughnut anchor,” Taylor said. “The original Krispy Kreme on Ponce definitely felt like part of our family and the fires marked the end of the era. We’ve tried all the dressed-up doughnuts in town now but we would prefer to go back to the original.”