College advisor Mira Ratchev sits in the College and Career Readiness building at Midtown reviewing applications.
Students navigate FAFSA challenges, express frustration
Mariam DarbMay 13, 2024

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) has experienced multiple changes in its application process for the 2024-2025 aid year.  Mia...

Irritating Checkout Process Worth All Inconvenience

Grady has once again added another obstacle to dodge in the midst of our busy lives: our new checkout process. Doctor appointments, illnesses, family emergencies and funerals are all among the possible reasons why a student might need to check out of school. The new checkout procedures no longer allow a student to leave for any reason, unless their parent comes to Grady to check them out of school in person. Last year, a student who was 17 or older could check themselves out. The new policy is inconvenient and unpopular among the students, but it’s also safer and better for the school.

Most students strongly oppose the new procedures for valid reasons, but their concerns are less significant than improved safety, the new policy achieves. Those with parents who work full-time worry that they will not be able to leave school if they feel sick during the school day. Others feel that it is unnecessary for their parents to escort them to their appointments

“It’s more stressful because your parent has to come just to sign you out, while you can just go by yourself if you’re driving,”
junior Emma Kohanowich said.

The new procedures are inconvenient for those Grady parents who work full-time. With everyone’s busy schedules, it may seem unreasonable to make an extra commute to Grady to retrieve kids who are fully capable of driving themselves, but it’s the only way the school can guarantee the parents are notified of their kids whereabouts.

“Safety has been a problem, because I don’t know who’s on the phone,” said Jurea Harris, who works in the attendance office. “Let’s say someone is pretending to be your mom and they’re not. You could leave with someone and end up in the trunk of their car.”

She has a point. There is no telling what could happen, and the procedures eliminate that potential danger. The Urban location of Grady brings along an increased risk of danger.

“We are in the middle of everything,” speech and debate teacher Mario Herrera said. “It’s a cool place, but you also have to be careful.”

The heavy traffic and busy community can be overwhelming and hazardous. It is best that a parent is aware of their kid’s whereabouts, especially after checking out of school. Although the cons of the new procedures are plentiful, the issue of safety is far more important.