Students attend ONE Musicfest weekend before Music Midtown

More stories from Maeve Malaney-Lau

ONE Musicfest prepares for its 10th annual festival in Centennial Olympic Park.

ONE MusicFest

ONE Musicfest prepares for it’s 10th annual festival in Centennial Olympic Park.

Held on the weekend before Music Midtown, ONE Musicfest is the perfect opportunity to get hyped up for the bigger festival. The festival will take place in Centennial Olympic Park on September 7th and 8th. Artists performing include Rae Sremmurd, Gucci Mane, Tory Lanez, Rick Ross, Pharell Williams, and Usher. 
Tickets are $75.00 per day, and you can buy each day separately. This gives festival-goers the opportunity to only go one day if they don’t want to spend a lot of money. It’s also a smaller festival for those who don’t want the complete craziness of Music Midtown but still want to have fun. 
“This is my first year going to ONE, and I’m super excited for it,” junior Zola Sullivan said. “I really liked the lineup when I saw it, so I just decided to buy a ticket. I think it’ll be fun, but I also really wish more of my friends were going.”
This year is ONE’s 10th anniversary. In the past, they’ve had artists like A$AP Rocky, 2Chainz, and Kendrick Lamar that have attracted crowds of over 50,000 people. Music Midtown has much larger crowds, but it has also been happening for 25 years. 
This year, ONE has attracted Grady High School students because of the popular artists on their lineup. 
“I knew about the festival last year, but I didn’t go because it was the weekend before Music Midtown,” junior Annabelle Daugherty said. “The lineup this year is good so I just decided to go.”
The only setback to the festival is that it’s a lot of money to go to both Music Midtown and ONE, so many people only go to Music Midtown. Many Grady students say that money is the only reason why they don’t go. 
“I’m using the money I made as a lifeguard this summer to go to a bunch of concerts and festivals,” Sullivan said. “I like spending my money to go to concerts, so the going to both ONE and Music Midtown wasn’t that big of a deal.” 
ONE is considered to be a progressive, urban festival, and is perfect for young adults and highschoolers. Most of the music played is rap, hip hop, reggae, or EDM. Because these are such popular genres, especially in Atlanta, this festival has seen decent success. 
“I like a lot of different types of music, so that’s why I like the lineup of ONE so much. It has rap and chill music, so it’s going to be a good mix of everything,” Daugherty said. 
Since ONE is a relatively new festival, it hasn’t gained as much attention as Music Midtown. But ten years from now, ONE could be the next big festival since Atlanta has such a big music scene. 
“I could definitely see the festival becoming a lot more popular in a few years,” Sullivan said. “It’s at a great location, and I already know a lot more people going this year than last year. Next year it will probably be even more.”