Grady students rock back-to-school fashion

Every fall, Grady students show up to school sporting looks that reflect their individual personalities. New trends emerge inspired by the latest pop-culture influences, and social pressures make choosing outfits overly stressful. From thrift shopping to 90s fashion to high-end brands, each student chooses to define themselves through clothing in their own unique way. Discover how fashion defines Grady culture and creates a platform for these students to express their identities.

Junior Nino Martin stands in the courtyard wearing a Gucci jacket. Martin gets most of his style inspiration from his favorite rappers such as A$AP Rocky, Playboi Carti, and Lil Uzi Vert. “I have more of like a flashy, designer type of style,” he said. “I like when I find new things that nobody else has.”
Sophomore Malori Switzer throws up peace signs in the noisy cafeteria. Switzer spends much of her free time doodling in her sketchbook. “For me, fashion is an easy way of expressing myself, like in a way that writing and drawing can’t,” she said.
Junior Eva Ehrlich sports a hot pink collared shirt with a matching scrunchie. She appreciates the artistic, expressive side of fashion. “I would say my style is punk or grunge with a twist,” Ehrlich said. “I look at Pinterest a lot to find popular trends, like neon colors, big high waisted pants, and chains.”
Junior Nile D’Abreau sits in the orchestra room after the first G.S.A. Club meeting of the year. His personal style is inspired by new-age rappers. “I think pop culture really influences teen fashion especially through social media because [we] get different ideas from different people and make [our] own styles,” D’Abreau said.
Sophomore Sonyae Johnson describes her personal style as “modern and outgoing” and wishes people didn’t take back-to-school fashion so seriously. “I feel like almost everyone thinks that since it’s a new school year, that everybody has to have the new styles of clothing and shoes,” she said. “It’s like most people think that if you don’t buy new clothes, then you’re not considered ‘cool.’”
Freshman Bella Luz smiles in front of a galactic painting, wearing a 90s-inspired outfit. “I don’t really have one particular style, but sometimes I like to dress edgy, and sometimes I like to dress more soft and girly. Dressing in different styles helps me explore my personality and see what’s best for me,” Luz said. “To be honest, I think that I care about others’ opinions way too often, and sometimes being more out there with my style can help me get over it.”
Senior Ian Ferreira poses outside the cafeteria during his lunch period. Ferreira enjoys skateboarding and often wears brands that match the skater aesthetic. “I just throw on random clothing and hope it looks good,” he said.
Freshman Olivia Wilson waits for her friends by the courtyard murals. She finds her style inspiration from social media influencers or TV show characters. Wilson appreciates the new freedom she has at Grady: “I felt excited [to come to Grady] because the dress code isn’t as strict at my school last year, and I get to actually wear clothes that I think are cute,” Wilson said.
Sophomore Chris Barnes sits outside Starbucks with his friends, wearing a music photographer’s merchandise. Barnes creates his own music, so he looks up to people in the music industry like Adam Degross. “My style is usually pretty simple and based on comfort, basically whatever makes me feel confident,” he said.
Senior Emma Harmon can often be seen wearing unconventional items and funky jewelry. She finds most of her clothes from local thrift stores, making her style one of a kind. “My family usually can’t afford mall or retail prices for clothes, so I’ve grown up almost exclusively thrift shopping,” Harmon said. “As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized it’s a really great way to not contribute to unethical practices that companies participate in and to find pieces that I feel more myself wearing.”

Photos by Sophia Maxim.