Conservative TV ads ‘round up’ Kemp supporters

Back to Article
Back to Article

Brian Kemp is the Georgia Republican gubernatorial nominee. He has been criticized by the left for his extreme ads.

Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Dana Richie, Online Lifestyle Section Editor

Satire

Nothing is more moving than watching your favorite politicians in action on television in the newest form of information distribution: the theatrical campaign. The eccentric campaign video has become a staple of American politics.

“I really appreciate a good campaign video,” voter Harry T. Waller said. “If a candidate can get my attention and entertain me, I know that he would do the same if elected to office. That’s what we need right now, politicians with a sense of humor.”

Despite large campaign shoes to fill, one new candidate has emerged to challenge the extremity of political advertisements: Georgia gubernatorial candidate Brian Kemp.

“Kemp’s content really stands for me, and he stands for Georgia,” Sheila Hunter, a Georgia voter said. “His views are exactly what you’d want in a politician; not to mention that he’s got a darling family.”

After much enthusiasm and excitement from the citizens of Georgia, the Kemp campaign has said it will run a new ad soon. Kemp’s ads have seen nationwide popularity and a growing fanbase for daring to portray elements not typically included in campaign ads, like threatening a minor with a gun as he comes to take his daughter on a date, or saying he will personally deport undocumented immigrants using his pick-up truck. The speculations and rumors about this upcoming ad have only continued to grow.

“Kemp’s an artist,” Georgia resident James Trawley said. “He puts a creative spin on his ads and has twisty, turny plot lines to keep the audience guessing.”

As time goes on, the public has become more and more curious in anticipation of Kemp’s new ad. The Kemp campaign has declined to give any hints of its content in an effort to create more publicity for the campaign.

“Even if they think he’s going to be riding a unicorn and going back in time, they’re thinking about Kemp in a good way,” said Emma Day Smith, a passionate social media influencer. “That’s way better than any cooky witch hunt that the other side can come up with.”

Eccentric campaigns have characterized the landscape of American politics from candidates across the spectrum.

“It transcends political party,” said Arthur Hummer, professor of Millennial Studies at the University of Georgia. “Everyone from Democrats to Republicans to the United States Marijuana Party have jumped on the train of turning politics into theater.”

With the creation of such thespian art forms, campaign videos have begun to outdo cable television in views.

“There’s no one left watching TV shows,” said Jamie Williams, producer at television company Freeform. “Everyone is choosing to watch these campaign videos instead. I guess they hold more comedic and entertainment value than televised comedies.”

With the election just around the corner, it will be interesting to see how the public reacts to the release of new, more entertaining advertisements spicing up the political playground.

“Usually, the October surprises have interesting results on campaigns,” said Julian Redford, political analyst and self-described campaign watchdog. “This campaign should be no different. We won’t really know what the public’s reaction will be until they head to the polls.”

About the Writer

Dana is a sophomore who loves using her voice to tell other people's stories as well as share her own views. She really enjoys writing for the Southerner...