Photo Essay: Students Get in the spirit for homecoming

Assistant Principal Rodney Howard joined in the luau fun and tried the limbo on Tropical Tuesday, Oct. 3 during Spirit Week.

Spirit week’s goal is to excite and unite students for the homecoming game on Oct. 13. Fall break is the week prior to the Homecoming game, the normal time for spirit week. The date of the homecoming game could not be changed, so students are getting in the spirit a little earlier.

For more Homecoming Spirit Week Coverage, see: https://thesoutherneronline.com/65161/lifestyle/tropical-tuesday-brings-controversy-to-spirit-week/

HOMECOMING COURT

Senior Amari Denmark promotes Amani Watkins, who was awarded MS. Grady on homecoming court.
Juniors Avery Alford and Abby Challas also promote Amani Watkins.

Mon. Oct. 2: PAJAMA DAY

Students rolled out of bed and into their classes wearing pajamas and sleeping accessories.

Freshmen Noa Descenda, sophomores Madison Ford and Jolie Nelson, and junior Agazi Meijer pose for a picture outside the instructional suites.
Annie Zintak
Pair of pajama day participants pose for picture in court yard in creative spirit week outfits.
A group of juniors pose during first lunch on pajama day.

Tues. Oct 3: TROPICAL TUESDAY

Grady got into a tropical spirit on Tuesday. Student Government organized a luau during all three lunches. They offered limbo with prizes and hula hooping. For students who did not want to dress tropical, twinning was also an option.

Seniors Genesis Williams and Haylee Hills twinned and dressed tropical to get in the Grady spirit.
Mr. Howard joined in the luau fun and tried the limbo.

Wed. Oct 4: CROSS DRESS DAY

A Grady Spirit week tradition, students cross dress and often poke fun of other gender stereotypes.  

While Junior Franky Fernandez already switched out of his dress, he did get to take a picture with the “new girl” Robert Mobley.
Annie Zintak
Junior boys dressing up on cross dress day, sporting dresses and ponytails.

Margo Lyman, Brooke Willis, Katie Wood, and Kelley Downes poke fun at stereotypical fraternity members.

Thur. Oct 5: THROWBACK THURSDAY

Some students throw it back to a different generation in celebration of throwback day while others throw it back to a past self.

Juniors Zode Compton and Tray Fote threw it back to the 80s while Robert Mobley to it back even farther to the 60s.
Annie Zintak
Group of freshman pose with upperclassmen in courtyard dressing up as boys with backwards hats, and polos.
Junior Gerald Robinson wore his St. Pius uniform in remembrance of the days before he transferred to Grady High School.

Fri. Oct 6: WEAR YOUR GRADE COLOR

During a final good luck to the football team, students dressed in their grade color and showed their spirit during a pep rally. Freshmen were in white, Sophomores in gray, juniors in black, and seniors clad themselves in togas.

Juniors Lily Muscarella, Margaret Rose, and Abby Challas gather in the dirt lot after the pep rally, before leaving for fall break.