Clinton would lead country to equality

Democratic nominee for president, Hillary Clinton, has spent this election season fending off attacks from political insiders, the GOP-controlled House of Representatives and political outsiders, including Republican presidential nominee, Donald Trump.

Despite these attacks on her character, fitness to be president and actions as Secretary of State, Clinton has shown the American public she is capable of taking on the important issues of this election and solving the problems that plague our nation in a way that is tolerant and leads our country forward. For these reasons, the Southerner is endorsing Hillary Clinton for President of the United States of America.

It’s no secret that Clinton is well-qualified for the presidency. Between her time as First Lady, New York Senator and Secretary of State, she has more experience than most candidates in history; she certainly has more exposure to presidential decisions than her opponent. Clinton’s experience goes further than her time in office. Since she was a college student, she has been politically active, fighting for the rights of women and children.

Clinton’s position on guns, reproductive rights, education and immigration most closely align with the views of the Southerner’s editorial board. As a school that has directly seen the threat of guns affect students, stricter gun control laws are crucial. After a student brought a gun on campus in 2013, and a former student was shot outside of a football game last year, it’s clear that it should be harder for people to obtain firearms.

From the beginning of her career, Clinton has proclaimed that “women’s rights are human rights.” Her pro-choice policies give women the right to control their reproductive health. Meanwhile, Trump has been accused of sexual assault and has repeatedly belittled women with lewd comments. He has also dangerously stigmatized women who get abortions by saying that during late-term abortions, “a day prior to birth, you can take that baby.” This is extremely harmful to women who have to make an incredibly difficult decision and already face misconceptions from the public.

Trump’s campaign gained speed largely from his controversial policies against immigrants; he promised a wall to keep out illegal immigrants from Mexico and a ban on Muslims entering the country. These policies further the xenophobic, racist rhetoric that will do nothing but divide the country. Preying on people’s fear is no way to move the nation forward. His plan to ban Muslims, or have “extreme vetting,” is the only plan he’s given so far about how he would fight ISIS.

At the debates, Clinton was calm, poised and handled Trump’s insults professionally. Trump called Clinton a “nasty woman,” said she would be in jail if he was president and refused to say he would accept the results of the election in the same way that a child throws a tantrum when they don’t get what they want. This is not the type of person who is mature or qualified enough to lead the country and act as a role model for America’s children.

Trump promises to “make America great again,” but who exactly would it be great for? According to his proposed policies, the people who would benefit from a Trump presidency are those exactly like him: rich and white. America does not need to revert to its old ways; change in the direction of equality is a good thing. America has made huge strides in human rights in recent years. Although she is not without her flaws, Clinton is the only logical choice for president.