The Georgia Student Finance Commission collaborated with 49 Georgia colleges to waive application fees in March. This removed barriers for Midtown students who were previously unable to apply to certain colleges.
Georgia Colleges waive application fees, remove barriers
Brennan FrittsApril 15, 2024

The Georgia Student Finance Commission partnered with nearly 50 colleges throughout Georgia to waive their application fees during March. Midtown...

Freshman Friday should remain unchanged

Freshman Friday, an initiation by upperclassmen, is a long tradition at Grady. This institution has been around since at least the 60’s, but wouldn’t exist if it was up to school administrators. So why are they trying to end one of Grady’s oldest traditions?

The initiation on the first Friday of the new school year is controversial. Every Grady student has heard stories about past events: the zip ties, the hill in Piedmont Park, and the spray bottles filled with questionable substances. It is understandable why school staff and some freshman would be wary of this tradition.

I think it is unnecessary for the administration to continue to try to end Freshman Friday. Although, in the past, things have gotten out of hand and people have been hurt, there were no serious injuries and Freshman Friday have since evolved. The seniors are aware of their limits, and the freshman have the option of opting out.

In recent years, seniors moved Freshman Friday off campus, and the freshman have to volunteer to participate. The dangerous aspect of the day has mellowed to shaving cream and silly string. Freshman Friday is fun for all parties involved, and it is one of those traditions that has been around for so many years. It would be a shame to see such a well-known tradition go away.

I can fully understand why teachers and staff would be concerned about things getting out of hand with such traditions at Grady , but I don’t think Freshman Friday is something to be concerned about. I don’t think this tradition should be stopped, especially in a way that is rarely dangerous. Each year Grady students find a way to make the event happen despite warnings from school administrators.  

I would love to see Freshman Friday continue for many years to come. I remember my first Friday at Grady very clearly, and to be honest, I am looking forward to welcoming  new freshman in this fashion when I am a senior. I ask everyone to relax a little. Freshman Friday is not a huge deal and getting rid of it isn’t battle worth fighting.