College advisor Mira Ratchev sits in the College and Career Readiness building at Midtown reviewing applications.
Students navigate FAFSA challenges, express frustration
Mariam DarbMay 13, 2024

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) has experienced multiple changes in its application process for the 2024-2025 aid year.  Mia...

Maya Beatty profile

Everyday at 3:25 the announcements ring out among the classrooms of Grady High School. The familiar voice that is behind the many announcements is senior Maya Beatty. She has contributed to the community in many ways, announcements only being part of it. She is involved in SGA which is the student government association, and through that she got the job of doing announcements.

“My second semester junior year SGA sent out a PSA asking if anyone was interested in doing announcements. I wanted to do it, so I read for them and they liked it, and that’s how it all got started.” Said Beatty.

Last year she was the 11th grade president for SGA and this year she is the executive president. She is part of the voice to the administrators,staff, and board of education along with her other SGA peers.

She has been training a few selected juniors to do the announcements when she graduates.

“They are going to start doing announcements on B days while I do them on A days, until they get acquainted. So far they’ve done a pretty good job.” Said Beatty.

The announcements are written down by teachers or sometimes students that are signed off by teachers or have permission to do so. Announcements usually range from prom to overdue books to new clubs or sporting events going on.

Maya Beatty has worked to inform the school with events and has also inspired the student with school spirit. As a member of SGA she comes up with ideas such as school spirit week, when students follow a schedule of dress up days. Such as college day, pajama day, and tropical day. This year there has also been support in school sports teams, which has lacked in the previous years. She attended every football and basketball game, and with basketball the student section was more packed than ever. Even following Grady Basketball to the final four when they fell to Jonesboro.

Maya Beatty has brought forward information to the students with announcements and has also improved school spirit that Grady so desperately needs. Being involved in the clubs helped her fill that role and hopes to inspire others to do the same.