After 24 years of educating and fostering fellowship in students, the Atlanta Girls School (AGS) plans to close at the end of the semester.
Atlanta Girls' School closes doors after 24 years
Kate Durden May 6, 2024

Georgia’s only non-sectarian girls school, Atlanta Girls’ School (AGS), plans to close at the end of the semester after 24 years. Low...

Counselor pushes through an unpredictable schedule to support student body

APPLIED DECISIONS: Lamar Young assists seniors with college applications and letters of recommendations. Photo By Darriea Clark.

When it comes to deciding on what to do career-wise, does being a guidance counselor ever come to mind? As a kid, it sure did not for guidance counselor, Lamar Young.

“I have always been into social studies,” Young said.

He launched his career as a high school U.S. History teacher.

“I thought counseling would be a natural progression,” Young said.

He has been a guidance counselor for eight years, working at Cedar Grove High School in DeKalb County and a couple of APS middle schools before coming to Grady two years ago.

Young said that every day is different in the life of a counselor. Though he tries to have a set schedule that he follows daily, he admits that when “working in education and a people-oriented industry, things are not set in stone.”

Anything could -and often does- happen for Young’s schedule to be changed.

“There may be an emergency or a visitor from a scholarship program to tell about scholarship opportunities or a parent might come to talk about a problem with their child,” Young said.

Young performs a number of tasks including managing student transcripts to ensure that students are on track to graduate.

“We make sure all the required classes have been fulfilled [to solidify student diplomas],” Young said. “It is a very detail-oriented job. It starts at the ninth grade. Underclassmen need to be made aware of GAcollege411 and any extracurricular, summer and afterschool programs that will assist them in school so that they can eventually graduate on time.”

Young’s tasks include researching alternative programs if a student is having trouble in the traditional school setting, assisting with post secondary education and supporting the instructional program at Grady. For example, if an class requires a senior project, and a student needs assistance, Young helps research different things to help the student finish it on time.

Young is also responsible for a number of projects for students. He works with the students who receive the National Merit Scholarship and the National Achievement Scholarship, sorts through the entire student body to select the STAR Student, and organizes the SAT/ACT breakfast, the distribution of SAT/ACT scores, and NCAA Clearinghouse. On top of all the other counseling duties, he is also in charge of the 10th grade advisement, the freshmen/sophomore parent night meeting, and field trip forms.

Despite what is shown in some television programs, however, one task that guidance counselors do not have is to be our psychologists.

“We don’t necessarily get the intense problems,” Young said. “However, we are the first line of defense if a student is having problems emotionally, psychologically, and personally.”

Counselors work non-stop, and they push long hours to ensure that students will be successful during and after high school.

“If I’m here until 7 or 8 p.m., I can get a phone call, an email, or a visit from students and parents to get assistance,” Young said.

Guidance counselor Cassandra Bolding agrees with the busy schedule.

“It does not stop,” Bolding said. “We have emails, testing, meetings … There is never a dull moment.”

Bolding has only known Young since the beginning of this school year, but she has enjoyed working with him. Their primary point of interaction has been helping students apply for the Gates Millenium Scholarship, but they have also worked together on different field trips.

“He’s a pleasant person, and he’s very knowledgeable,” Bolding said. “He has a dry sense of humor. He can be comical, but not silly. I’m often going to him asking about how Grady functions. His response is always ‘That’s the Grady way. That’s the Grady way.’ His mantra is ‘Individually, we are unique. Together, we’re Grady.’ When I need a direct answer, I know not to go to Mr. Young. I think that is pretty funny.”

Young thrives in and outside of school. April Patton, his close friend, has known Young for the past decade, and she has observed that family is very important to him.

“He is a very loving brother, son, and friend,” Patton said. “He is a protector and he is very loyal to his friends.”

Patton and Young have zip-lined and traveled the world together, and they have plans to go skydiving.

“He loves to travel and travel outside of his comfort zone to be able to experience all the world has to offer,” Patton said. “He loves to laugh and be entertained.”

Luckily, these feats will not tear him away from the Grady Knights.

“I absolutely enjoy what I do,” Young said. “It always amazes me how much fun I have by the end of the day. It’s exciting. It’s fun, and it’s very rewarding because I get an opportunity to impact peoples lives.”