After 24 years of educating and fostering fellowship in students, the Atlanta Girls School (AGS) plans to close at the end of the semester.
Atlanta Girls' School closes doors after 24 years
Kate DurdenMay 6, 2024

Georgia’s only non-sectarian girls school, Atlanta Girls’ School (AGS), plans to close at the end of the semester after 24 years. Low...

Administrator speaks softly but carries a big whistle

ON THE JOB: Assistant Principal Rodney Howard stands in the E100 hall with his radio in hand prepared to enforce the rules.

Rodney Howard, known by the student body for catching tardy students on E100, has a life outside of school and is more than just the rule-enforcer at Grady.

Howard attended Clark University in Atlanta where he earned his undergraduate degree in Health and Physical Education. He then moved to Los Angeles, for a change of scenery, where he spent four years teaching high school P.E. His next big move was getting his masters degree in education and a specialist degree in educational leadership at Cambridge University in Boston.

He returned to Atlanta in 2005, joining Grady as a P.E. teacher and assistant coach of track and field and girls volleyball. In 2011, Howard was promoted to assistant principal. Over the past three years, many have noticed Howard’s strengthening effect on Grady’s disciplinary style. English and speech and debate teacher Mario Herrera noted Howard’s charisma.

“He’s consistent, and he is in a role where you are constantly surrounded by students who challenge you,” Herrera said. “It would be easy to create a negative perception towards the students, but he doesn’t.”

Howard said he has a great personal and working relationship with Assistant Principal David Propst.

“We know exactly where we’re at,” Propst said . “We are a team, we are one, which is why he tries to dress like me.”

Joking aside, Howard is well-liked and respected by his fellow staff members, he is aware that his disciplinary methods are not favored by many students.

“Students may at times feel I am strict, which I am, but I have high expectations for the students because rules are put in place for a reason,” Howard said. “When you don’t have them, you have chaos, so my job is to enforce the rules.”

He said his job is to steer students in the right direction, and his ability to do that is why he loves what he does.

“Teenagers by their nature want to see how they can push the envelope, Howard being the envelope, but Howard’s hard to push,” Herrera said.

While some students find Howard hard to relate to, his interests don’t run far from theirs; during his free time Howard listens to Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West and many other types of music, as long as it’s not heavy metal.

“When you get to know me I’m a nice person,” Howard said.

Howard was once a high school student himself, and he said he made his fair share of mistakes, but always turned things around because he knew he was a reflection of his family. He was always respectful, he said.

Although some students complain about having to follow Howard’s rules, they accept his role.

Senior Millat Gedefa believes Howard is doing a good job keeping the school orderly. His discipline technique comes off differently to others, however.

“I’m not intimidated by him, because nine times out of 10 he is just doing his job,” Gedefa said. “If you’re doing the right thing, then you have nothing to be intimidated by. Students don’t like him because they don’t like to follow the rules, but in a school we are supposed to have someone telling us to do the right thing.”

Though Gedefa appreciates, Howard made freshman Frances Christopher nervous coming into Grady.

“I think he’s a little bit scary,” Christopher said.

Propst said the administration is like a “championship team,” looking out for the best interests of the students and the school.

“The bottom line is, we are advocates for the students so they can succeed,” Propst said.

It is hard to be the enforcer, but Howard is able to balance being a disciplinarian and educator, explained Herrera.

“I want what is best for the students, and I want every one of them to make something out of themselves,” Howard said.