Courtesy of Royce Carter Mann

Royce Carter Mann

Royce Carter Mann is 19 and a recent graduate of the Atlanta Public School system. He is a first-year Woodruff-MLK Jr. scholar and political science major at Emory University. He co-founded Students for Ossoff & Warnock to mobilize thousands of young Georgians to elect Georgia’s new Senators. He has worked as a Legislative Director for March for Our Lives Georgia. Royce was involved in student government, started a chapter of Amnesty International, and was appointed to be the student member of the GO-Team.

Curriculum 

• Supports creating a permanent Curriculum Council to advise the district on making curriculum better at preparing students for present-day professional opportunities
  • Supports creating a one-semester financial literacy course available to all high school students
  • Supports a greater focus on literacy and the district’s Literacy Plan to make sure all students are reading at grade level by the end of fifth grade while also expanding individualized literacy coaching for middle and high school students
  • Expand CTAE (Career, Technical, and Agricultural Education) and vocational training opportunities
  • Ensure health and sexual education curriculum is LGBTQIA affirming and inclusive and effectively teaches students about consent.

Equity 

• Plans to require that every school place students in classes so that each class is relatively representative of the school’s racial diversity
  • Proposes redistricting current school zones to to encourage economic and racial diversity among all school clusters and adjusting the Student Success Funding Formula to move money to schools with a high rate pf poverty 
  • Plans to work with the Department of Special Education to increase opportunities for students with disabilities to engage with and learn alongside their peers without disabilities
  • Promises to partner with MARTA to provide access to free public transportation to all middle and high school students

COVID-19

• No information found

Community Engagement

•  intentionally seek out student input when discussing the strategic plan and budget.
  • Prioritize student input in the development and implementation of SEL programs and curriculum.