Georgia’s 6th congressional district election
October 28, 2020
Following the 2018 Democratic upset by former Delta employee and now Congresswoman Lucy McBath, the 2020 contest offers a repeat of the 2018 election. Former Congresswoman Karen Handel lost her seat to McBath in 2018 by less than 3,000 votes and is once again running for the 6th District. Handel won an expensive special election for the seat in 2017 while running against Jon Ossoff and is seeking to regain her position in the US House.
McBath is attempting to hold ground in the historically Republican district as polls remain tight in the leadup to Election Day. McBath’s success hinges on the once solidly Republican district remaining blue.
Although candidates are running on differing platforms issues such as COVID-19, the economy, climate change, LGBTQ+ rights and women’s issues have been substantial in their campaign process.
Lucy McBath (D)
- Supports passage of the Families First Coronavirus Response Act as a means to address the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Supports additional supplemental funding to combat the virus with an increased focus on state and local governments.
- Supports expanding middle class and small business tax cuts.
- Supports reforms to tax code for families.
- Supports increasing federal minimum wage.
- Supports larger investments in clean energy.
- Supports increasing subsidies for homeowners who use clean energy.
- Opposes shoreline drilling off of the coast of Georgia.
Racial and Social Inequality
- Supports increased legislation to address racial inequalities.
- Supports gun control as a policy to address racial inequality.
LGBTQ and Women’s Rights
- Supports legislation such as the Equality Act, which would prohibit the discrimination of LGBTQ+ individuals in the workplace, housing, and credit and financial assistance.
- Against Handel’s position of defunding Planned Parenthood
- Supports funding programs to increase access to contraception and Planned Parenthood.
- Supports policies to close the gender wage gap
Karen Handel (R)
- Supports the aggressive pursuit of a vaccine.
- Supports an increase in antibody testing.
- Supports increasing liability protections for businesses during COVID-19.
- Supports reopening the economy fully with increased safety measures
- Supports increasing capital for small business investment.
- Supports the continuation of regulatory relief.
- Supports implementing incentives to draw back on manufacturing from foreign countries.
- Supports prioritizing American jobs when addressing issues of climate change.
- Has endorsed President Trump’s decision to remove the U.S from the Paris Climate Accords.
- Supports keeping local police funded.
- Opposes efforts to defund police departments and opposes efforts to take police officers out of schools.
LGBTQ and Women’s Rights
- No clear position on LGBTQ+ rights.
- Pro-life and does not support abortion.
- Opposes Planned Parenthood and supports the Hyde Amendment regarding federal funding for abortions.