Grady must change its name if it wants to represent the community

“The supremacy of the white race of the South must be maintained forever and the domination of the negro race resisted at all points and at all hazards — because the White race is the superior race . . .” -Henry W. Grady (1888)

These are among the first words I read while conducting research on my high school’s namesake in 2003. I wanted the name to change right then, and I regret not making my voice heard seventeen years ago.

I watched the July 30 renaming committee meeting live. I noted a stark divide between those who attended the school pre and post integration. Dialogue and debate are healthy and appropriate in this situation. However, many commenters spoke as if all alumni and current students were White. One in particular said none of the alums had a problem with the name.

It seems he knows little about more recent student experiences. Thus, I will share portions of my own germane to this issue. Chief among these, was the discomfort of having to see the name of the school every day. In addition, I was one of a very few Black students in the communication magnet program. Thus, I felt pressure to be representative of my race in a space named for someone who viewed my race as being inferior. This was an awkwardly demoralizing space to occupy.

To this day, when I look at my diploma, I am not drawn to the seal from the School of Communication Magnet. I am not drawn to the seal from the National Honor Society. I am not drawn to the Atlanta Public Schools College Preparatory track with Distinction seal. I see Henry Grady, the name of a man who believed “the supremacy of the White race of the South must be maintained forever”, printed obnoxiously at the top.

What stake do I have in this? I want better for my baby sister who will be a freshman at Grady this fall. She should not suffer the indignity her four siblings did. Her high school experience should not be disgraced by the name of Henry Grady. My parents agree. They believe high school is hard enough without the added stress this situation brings.

Black Americans are expected to sacrifice their humanity and dignity in the name of compromise. If you want to attend one of the finest high schools, then you must endure it bearing the name of a White supremacist. If you want to attend prestigious and well-resourced universities, you must endure White supremacy and racism: Henry W. Grady High School, Wake Forest University, Appalachian State University and The Pennsylvania State University. I made this sacrifice each time, a sacrifice White people do not have to make. It is cruel and unjust. Any space which purports to serve all should be welcoming to all. We have a long way to go before this is the case. I look forward to the day when our school slogan—Individually we are different, together we are Grady—truly lives up to its creed. Our school should bear the name of someone who equally values all the individuals who make up the whole.

I am a 1998 alumnus of Mary Lin Elementary. Mary Lin is named for one of its extremely dedicated former principals. In that spirit, I recommend the renaming committee waive its requirement that a person be deceased for five years, and rename the school Marian Patricia Kelly High School. Ms. Kelly passed in February 2019. She integrated the faculty in 1970 and served Grady for over four decades. Our teachers and administrators are unsung heroes. More of our schools should bear their names.

The next renaming committee meeting is scheduled for August 4. I plan to do right by my 16-year-old self. I will make sure my voice is heard. I will stand for what is right.

Join me. Let’s change the name. It is the right thing to do.