To help aid the selection of the next permanent superintendent of the district, the Atlanta Board of Education has formed a community panel of more than 15 parents, teachers, students and community leaders.
Community advisory panel formed to advise district superintendent selection
Shalin BhatiaApril 22, 2024

The Atlanta Board of Education has formed a community panel of parents, teachers, students and community leaders to provide community input in...

Coffee shop covers new grounds

The summer days of staying up late and sleeping until noon have come to their bitter end. Students are thrown into the sleeping schedule of late night studies and early morning classes, so how can we get through it? Newly-opened coffee shop, Press and Grind, located in Virginia Highland, offers easy access for Grady students and their caffeine needs.

Although I had some trouble finding a parking spot in the small, cramped lot behind the shop, I immediately dropped all worries as I walked in, welcomed with the aroma of freshly brewed coffee.

This recently-opened coffeeshop has a minimalist feeling with crisp white walls, lightly-colored wood ceilings, and large windows that allow natural light to pour through. A splash a color brightens the back of the shop with abstract posters and beautifully designed tile.

I went to the counter where I noticed the free blueberry muffin samples next to the register; I liked this place already.

They had a large selection of pastry and meal options, having everything from  small muffins to a hearty chicken sandwich and salad combo. Because most coffee shops only have small pastries, I was surprised to see that Press and Grind had vegan, gluten-free, and paleo options for their customers. Feeling hungry, I went with an egg and cheese breakfast sandwich in a poppyseed bagel bun ($4) and an iced coffee ($2).

Although the shop is pretty small, seating was no problem with numerous tables and chairs spread out over half the shop, and additional outdoor seating in front. After I snagged a table next to a large window, I sipped my coffee and awaited my order’s arrival. The kitchen is located in the front next to the counter, allowing me to watch them prepare my beautifully-made sandwich.

While waiting, my eyes were drawn to the pastry case containing cupcakes, chocolate eclairs, and all types of cookies. I thought best to come back another time and try as many as I could.

Less than two minutes later the smiling cashier made her way to my table and delivered my steaming hot meal. The appetizing egg and cheese mixture between the lightly-toasted bagel made me forget I was in a 900-sq. ft. coffeeshop, not an actual restaurant.  

Slowly sipping coffee and eating my sandwich, I listened to the soft acoustic music in the background. The hushed tones and quiet chitter-chatter throughout the shop makes for the perfect place to do some light studying or small talk with friends.

Press and Grind has both the classic coffeeshop pastries and breakfast restaurant meals served all day at  affordable prices. I recommend this place to anyone wanting a chill location to get some work done, or if they’re just craving a delicious breakfast.

IMG_4359IMG_4357