The Georgia Student Finance Commission collaborated with 49 Georgia colleges to waive application fees in March. This removed barriers for Midtown students who were previously unable to apply to certain colleges.
Georgia Colleges waive application fees, remove barriers
Brennan FrittsApril 15, 2024

The Georgia Student Finance Commission partnered with nearly 50 colleges throughout Georgia to waive their application fees during March. Midtown...

Preview: Varsity basketball season opener

The Grady boys basketball team opens its season against Meadow Creek High School at the annual John Morgan Thanksgiving Tournament Nov. 23-26. The team made it into the sweet 16 at the 4AAAA state tournament with a record of 19-10 last year.

Although they lost in the second round of state playoffs to Alexander High School 66-59, head coach Brian Weeden believes they can exceed their previous triumphs in the year to come.

“Although we lost a star player, Brandon Watkins, I do believe we can supersede what we did last year, and make it a special year,” Weeden said.

The team will have to replace the scoring, rebounding and leadership of Watkins, who will be playing college basketball on a full scholarship to West Virginia University this fall. As a senior last year, he was Grady’s all-region/all-state player of the year and a McDonald’s All-American nominee.

Although the team will be missing a key player like Watkins, the team will have to adapt to a new playing style utilizing the young players they do have.

“This year, we’ll play guard-oriented,” Weeden said. “Play faster. Fast break transition with easy lay-ups.”

This year’s team is young, with only two returning seniors as starters: combo guard Tyrius Walker and wing Darriun Shelton.

“I think we’re going to go farther than we did last year,” Walker said. “We got a lot of young guys and we are really used to the new coach and playing style.”

The season opener is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. on Nov. 23 at Pebblebrook High School.